Re: dh, autoreconf, "remember to run libtool --finish"

Nico Schlömer <nico.schloemer@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm packaging a project that uses autoreconf and on my local machine
> configures and builds fine with default options throughout. With the
> minimal debian/rules file
> <https://github.com/nschloe/launchpad-submitter/blob/master/debian-netcdfcxx/rules>,
> it all seems to work out fine. However, at the installation step, I get

> libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
> [...]

This is normal and can be ignored.  Debian systems don't require libtool
--finish.  The only thing this does on Linux is refresh the ld.so cache,
and that's handled by the package postinst during installation.

> and the actual .a and .so files are not put where they belong. This
> leads to a failure at dh_install,
> <https://launchpadlibrarian.net/171725911/buildlog_ubuntu-trusty-amd64.netcdfcxx_1%3A4.2.1~20140403-trusty3_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz>.

It looks like you have the wrong path in your *.install file.  Following
Debian's multiarch standard, the library is being installed in
/usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH), but your *.install file is listing
/usr/lib/*.a directly.  Changing that to /usr/lib/*/*.a is usually the
right fix (and similarly for the other patterns in other *.install files).