Re: grokking debian symbols files

* Wookey <wookey@wookware.org>, 2014-04-04, 02:38:
The package has already been ported and bug filed with patch: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=726402 which updates the symbols file to have 'arm64' and '!arm64' in the various arch-qualified symbols entries (which I think I do understand). However it still doesn't build and gives me a symbols patch (below).

The issue seems to be entries that have the form:
(subst) <lonsymbolname>{uint64_t}<moresymbol> blah foo

Reading the man page for dpkg-gensymbols does not tell me what this means. It looks like the 'tag' form but the {type} notation is not explained SFAICS.

It's a pkgkde-symbolshelper(1)'s (from the pkg-kde-tools package) thing. But AFIACS pkgkde-symbolshelper doesn't have any documentation, so the “is not explained” still holds. :/

Hopefully it's a matter of updating perllib/Debian/PkgKde/SymbolsHelper/Substs/TypeSubst.pm, as it doesn't seem to support arm64 yet.

What should those substitutions be? Why am I getting a complaint? Are the types not being substituted correctly? They all seem to come out as 'm' whether the {type} part is {uint64_t} or {size_t} which makes me suspect that's not right?

Don't know about arm64 specifically, but on all 64-bit architectures I know, both uint64_t and size_t are typedefs for "unsigned int", which is mangled as "m". So that doesn't look very wrong. :-)

--
Jakub Wilk