DEP8 tests using the built package source

Hi,

I maintain libevdev, which includes tests which need to be run as root in the
built source tree:

./configure
sudo make check

Obviously this means I can't run the tests during the standard build, but
Michael Terry from Canonical pointed out that DEP8 tests would be appropriate
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libevdev/+bug/1287128).

I tried the following:

==> debian/tests/control <==
Tests: check
Restrictions: needs-root build-needed rw-build-tree
Depends: @builddeps@

==> debian/tests/check <==
#!/bin/sh

make -C ${0%/*}/../.. check

A local adt-run using an unstable chroot or qemu works, whether run from the
built or unbuilt source tree. But the tests fail on ci.debian.net; as far as
I can tell it doesn't try to build the source package before running the
tests, so they fail (see
http://ci.debian.net/data/unstable-amd64/packages/libe/libevdev/2014-03-14.log
for the last run).

Has anyone else come across this situation? Should I just rebuild the source
myself in the test, in ADTTMP?

Regards,

Stephen