Re: Is there a way to preserve pbuilder chroot environment?

On Feb 28, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Mikhail Morfikov wrote:

>I'm new to building packages by using pbuilder tool, and I have to build
>a package multiple times before it builds successfully, or in the way
>I prefer.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer to use sbuild for most of my local
builds.  You can tell it to preserve the chroot when the build fails, and it's
easy to go in, inspect the build environment, and tweak your package into
building.  Occasionally, it's even useful to preserve the chroot when the
package build succeeds, just to poke around.

For Debian packages, I usually do all my update testing with sbuild and
schroot, and then do one final pbuilder build -- with a test of the resulting
.debs just to be sure -- for the binary package upload.

sbuild also has lots of nifty extra features.  One I use a lot is the ability
to locally build a stack of related packages against each other[1].  The
Ubuntu wiki has a nice page on getting started with sbuild[2].

Cheers,
-Barry

[1]
http://www.wefearchange.org/2011/09/sbuild-with-local-newer-dependencies.html