Working with gbp and older releases

Hi,

I am trying to work on an orphaned package maradns. It uses quite a
lot of patches managed with quilt. I created a repo on alioth [1] to
manage different versions. I imported all the versions (debsnap and
git-import-dscs). Now I am stuck with two problems:

1. Should I keep the source unpatched in git or patched. If I keep it
unpatched, after patching (dquilt push -a) gbp complains that I have
uncommited changes. What should be done here?

2. I can see the newest maradns 2.X branch was installed only for
experimental. The latest in unstable/testing was 1.4.12-5. It is now
unusable, due to [2] and procpidfile change. I think the first release
I would make is fixing this, so people can use it again (now it does
not start). Is this git workflow correct ?
I will checkout debian/1.4.15-5 tag, bump the changelog to 1.4.15-6,
make changes in d/* and release with a new tag. Now, say I want to
release the new 2.X version. I go back to master, add the changelog
entry for 1.4.15-6 and work on the new release?

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/maradns.git
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=709826

--
Pozdrawiam,