Re: Is this really the debian way ?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 12:14:17PM +0000, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> I know that cjs depends on mozjs185 package.
> Is there a better way to make this work ? Without the "hack" ?
cjs the program or libcjs0? Whichever one, add a Dependency.
As you're running objdump over a library libcjs0 to find what version
of mozjs it uses, I guess it is for libcjs0.

That's another bad idea, objdump for the shlibs, fixed version for the
-dev package.  You can see over time these will diverge.

OK, its even wierder. The rules file has:
DEB_DH_MAKESHLIBS_ARGS_libcjs0c = -Xusr/lib/cjs-1.0/ -V'libcjs0c (>=
$(DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION)), libcjs0-$(LIBMOZJS)'
and:
echo cjs:Provides=libcjs0-$(LIBMOZJS) >> debian/$(cdbs_curpkg).substvars

So....
  The rules file kludges shlibs so it depends in libcjs0 and
  libcjs0-mozjs185
and
  The package that provide libcjs0-mozjs185 is.. libcjs0

After all that mucking around you're back to depending on libcjs0 twice.
I'd try to find whoever wrote this and ask is it really needed and if
not nuke it.

It would only make sense if the mozjs package is also provided by
something else and in that case should be a dependency on libcjs0.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small (@smallsees)   http://enc.com.au/       csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org/   csmall at : debian.org