Moving a package (to non-free)

Hi,

I was trying to move a package (iausofa-c) from main to non-free with a
new version. In the developers reference [1], the according paragraph is
5.9.1:

> If you need to change the section for one of your packages, change
> the package control information to place the package in the desired
> section, and re-upload the package

So, I changed the section to non-free, and uploaded the new version
2013.12.02-1 (resp. I asked my sponsor to do so). However, this was
followed by some unexpected things:

1. I got a traceback with a rejection [2]
2. Someone then removed the old binary packages [3]
3. Then the package got accepted  [4]
3. After a few days, I got a "serious" bug that the source is still in
   main [5]

No I am unsure what to do. I followed the reference, but it was somehow
not recognized. The real procedure to move a package seems to be
different from the documentation. Is this a bug in the manual? And, if
yes, what is the correct way? If not, should I file a bug against
ftp-masters saying that the implementation to move a package is wrong?

Or did I something fundamentally misunderstand here? Do I refer to the
right section of the reference manual and do I interpret it correctly?

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#moving-pkgs
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-science-maintainers/2014-January/022351.html