Re: File modification and the copyright

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:

> If I take a simple file (BSD-licensed), (greatly) improved it, and
> include it in my package. How should I handle the situation?

> - I should claim that the author of the new file is me, right?

Usually I list both authors, such as:

 * Written by Larry Schwimmer
 * Extensively modified by Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org>

from one of my projects.

> - I should inherit the BSD-licensed, right?

Yes, almost always.

> - How to express that the new file was based on another old file from a
> different author in the debian/copyright file?

Copyright: 2003-2008 John Doe
  2014 Jane Doe

In other words, you can list multiple copyright holders.  I usually use
two spaces at the start of subsequent lines to suppress word wrapping.