Re: generic debian/rules that creates directories

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> First, dh_installdirs is not actually useful for solving this particular
> problem since dh_installdirs creates directories in the package staging
> area.  Your problem is happening prior to that; make install of the
> upstream source into debian/tmp is failing because it's expecting
> $DESTDIR/usr/bin to already exist.  dh_installdirs doesn't create
> directories in debian/tmp, so it doesn't help with that.

I guess I should say, for the sake of completeness, that you *can* make
dh_installdirs do this with the -P flag.  But I would find that confusing;
I think an explicit install -d is easier to understand.  And, regardless,
dh_installdirs isn't normally run before dh_auto_install, so you'd still
need an override if you're using dh.