Re: Lintian says "package-contains-ancient-file"

Olе Streicher wrote:
> Therefore, the package contains a couple of files which are quite old --
> some help files, sources, documentation etc. date 1983 and 1984. This
> leads to the Lintian *error* shown in the subject. Although I think it
> is reasonable to overwrite this tag (the files actually *are* that old,
> and they are still part of the package), I am a bit concerned by the
> Lintian explanation "Your package will be rejected by the Debian archive
> scripts if it contains a file with such a timestamp".
>
> Searching the policy, I could not find a point that would speak against
> using old time stamps. Even more, the policy asks me to *keep* the time
> stamps:
>
> | 4.7 Time Stamps
> | Maintainers should preserve the modification times of the upstream
> | source files in a package, as far as is reasonably possible.

> I would also feel a bit bad with just "touch"ing these files, since the
> age may be an indicator to evaluate the contained information.
>
> So, is it reasonable just to overwrite this tag, or will I then face to
> a package reject? What is the reason for this tag?

This check is intended to guard against package being built
with a broken clock, or even a buggy version of /usr/bin/install
which set the time stamp of all files to epoch. See bug #218304.
Oddly, the cut-off date is the year 1984, not "more than 20 years ago"
as described by lintian-info.

I think the DAK rejects are based on lintian checks now, but am not 100%
sure. An ovrride would probably work.

I think it would be reasonable to file a bug on lintian that this check
should not be applied to documentation.

--
see shy jo