Re: Advice on packaging SWIG generated python bindings and more

* Srećko Jurić-Kavelj <srecko.juric-kavelj@fer.hr>, 2013-05-08, 11:32:
I've named the python package python-libaria, but the packaged module is named AriaPy. Debian Python Policy states that the package name should be the module name prefixed by python-, but on the other hand, package names should be lower case (Debian Policy). Compromise would be python-ariapy,

python-ariapy is indeed the correct package name.

but it seems redundant.

Sure, but that's only because "Py" in the module name is redundant.

Also, I've added only the default python version to Build-Depends. Hope this is OK.

Building for all supported versions would be better, but now that 2.6 is no longer supported (and there hopefully won't be 2.8), it doesn't really matter.

PS I've tried to build the package in squeeze environment (for backporting), and while it did succeed after adding backports repository (for debhelper, lintian, ...), python package wasn't correctly generated (uses dh_python2).

Support for .pyinstall files was added in python 2.6.6-6.

--
Jakub Wilk