Packaging GNUstep automatically

Hello all,

in recent discussions on the GNUstep mailing lists there was an
agreement that packaging for Debian/Ubuntu is important. So far so good :-)

Action following words I tried to upload recent sources to my Ubuntu PPA
(https://launchpad.net/~mah-jump-ing/+archive/ppa). Even after several
days of reading tutorials, instructions and other stuff there's still no
success. Instead, my head is spinning. Could never imagine packaging is
such a complex enterprise. Accordingly I think it's a good point in time
to do a step back and ask for outlines of the broader picture.

What I want to achieve is:

1) Reducing the number of patches coming with the packaging to zero. If
something doesn't align, upstream should be fixed instead.

2) Provide a one-stop script to GNUstep developers which allows them to
update Debian packages after a release. Something like ./package-release.sh

3) Provide automated weekly package updates in this PPA. Similar to
weekly tarball snapshots, just as a package.

While 1) should be pretty simple - apply the patches to the original
repo, 2) and 3) are something I can't get an idea of on how this should
work.

Let's take gnustep-make as an example. Original sources are here:

http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/trunk
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/tools/make/trunk/

There's already an older packaging repo:

git://git.debian.org/pkg-gnustep/gnustep-make.git
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-gnustep/gnustep-make.git

This older thing provides three packages: gnustep-common, gnustep-make
and gnustep-make-doc. Copying the debian/ directory from there to
current sources looks like a step forward, still no chance to actually
upload these sources. I receive all sorts of errors, from "Can't build,
because sources have changed" to "control doesn't match" to "no key
whatever" to "no previous package" (there is no such thing as a
"previous package") ...

What would be a good outline to get these weekly updates? Which
strategy? Is it even wanted to maintain packaging in the upstream repo?

Thanks for your help,
Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter