Re: Multiple Licenses

+++ Daniel Lintott [2013-12-08 22:58 +0000]:

> Hi Mentors,
>
> I've just begun packaging phpipam [1] and I'm now delving into
> completing the copyright file.
>
> The project itself is licensed under GPL-3 which is fine. I have
> substituted any embedded copies of code which are available in Debian,
> but am still left with a couple of PEAR modules, not present in Debian.
>
> Currently I'm a little unsure of the licenses of the remaining
> embedded code copies. For example functions/PEAR/OLE/* is licensed
> under PHP-2.02. I've found some talk about the PHP license in relation
> to Debian, but I'm unsure how it would apply in this case.
>
> Any advice would be welcome, before I continue with the packaging.

The best thing to do is probably to package those modules separately.
That removes the issue for this package, but obviously you still need to
work out what the licence of the modules is in order to package and upload them.

I've had this problem with embedded java in one of my packages, which
took a long time to sort out, because the licencing was poorly defined,
and ultimately in one case, not distributable in Debian. That required
talking to the authors to work out what had been derived from where.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/