Re: Packaging C-Library

 ❦  8 décembre 2013 18:08 CET, Werner Detter <werner@aloah-from-hell.de> :

>>> * The package is a small package. Should it, as it provides a
>>> shared lib, be broken up into to seperate packages? Should it be
>>> libcmime-dev or just libcmime. Currently it's named just
>>> "libcmime".
>>
>> Yes, libcmime-dev will contain the .so symlink, the .h headers,
>> the pkg-config file, any .a if you want to provide ones. And the
>> binary package should be named libcmime0.1 (or libcmime-0.1) to
>> reflect the soname that you use. Such a name is important because
>> you don't want users of your library to be broken on updates.
>>
>> Optionally, you can provide a -dbg package.
>
> Shouldn't it be "just" a -dev package as there is no binary within the
> package itself but just a library?

A library is a binary (machine-dependent code). In the main package, you
have:

/usr/lib/libcmime.so.0.1 (symlink to the next one)
/usr/lib/libcmime.so.0.1.19

In the -dev package, you have

/usr/lib/libcmime.so (symlink to 0.1.19)
/usr/include/cmime/*.h
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/cmime.pc

I didn't have a look at the current content, don't take my word too
much. Moreover, as you are packaging a lib, you should try to make it
multiarch enabled (unlike the above example):
 https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation
--
Don't compare floating point numbers just for equality.