dpkg-source: error: cannot write /tmp/temp-lintian-lab-...

Thanks A LOT for the swift response.

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 11:09:14 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

>> - dpkg-source: error: cannot write /tmp/temp-lintian-lab-...
>
> Something is wrong with your /tmp directory. It is probably either full
> or has incorrect permissions.

I suspect it has something to do with my build environment because
I'm doing package build under docker. Ref,

http://sfxpt.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/debianubuntu-package-developing-
with-docker/
http://sfxpt.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/debianubuntu-package-developing-
with-docker-continued/

I.e., I'm building under the 'root' account, and the /tmp directory is on
top of aufs FS.

I was trying to fix the problem myself, and find the following,

Basically, "lintian follows the normal Unix convention of honoring TMPDIR
as a location into which to put temporary files", so I did:

 export TMPDIR=/export/build/tmp

when the /export is the bind mount point into the docker image. This
should rule out the case that I don't have enough space on /tmp. However,

$ lintian ../*.dsc
warning: the authors of lintian do not recommend running it with root
privileges!
dpkg-source: error: cannot write /export/build/tmp/temp-lintian-lab-
jeMCBqajFT/pool/d/dbab/dbab_1.0.1_source/unpacked/debian/source/format:
No such file or directory
internal error: dpkg-source -x failed with status  2 at /usr/share/
lintian/collection/unpacked line 62
warning: collect info unpacked about package dbab failed
warning: skipping check of source package dbab

I.e., lintian IS using my host /export directory for temp space, but it
is still failing.

Well, I'll try building it outside docker...
Hmm... hold on, I was able to build another package under docker just
fine. Anyway, will play around further...