Re: New upstream source tarball introduces a new shared library

Yes it is -- all the libraries built by the source package have the same version numbers.

It wasn't too much trouble to split out libkj, so I did that. I can either leave it that way or fold it back into the libcapnp binary package. Any strong feelings either way with this?

I should note that the source package also builds *another*, third shared object (libcapnpc) used by the capnpc compiler that I've opted to roll into the libcapnp package for now. At some point it may make sense to split the compiler + runtime libraries up too.

The relevant changes for libkj & libcapnpc are here:

https://github.com/thomaslee/capnproto-debian/commit/2a8ae2fa288970ee0ba666c5958fed23bbd971f0
https://github.com/thomaslee/capnproto-debian/commit/a54d2cb076f39be88e927d1c02147228469a27cc

Full repo here:

https://github.com/thomaslee/capnproto-debian

Cheers,
Tom

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
 ❦ 13 novembre 2013 05:30 CET, Tom Lee <debian@tomlee.co> :

> I work on the packaging for capnproto.
>
> Upstream has provided a new source tarball that introduces a new shared
> library (libkj). Theoretically, this shared library is stand-alone & could
> be used independently, but it is likely only interesting to users of
> capnproto in the short term.
>
> In the developer's words:
>
> "It can exist independently, and some day it might be "marketed" as a
> separate library.  For now, though, it is bundled with Cap'n Proto and used
> only by Cap'n Proto users.  Unless Debian mandates breaking these out or we
> actually see some demand for KJ being separate, I don't think we need to
> divide the package yet."
>
> I *think* I should extract libkj as a separate binary package & am
> currently proceeding under that assumption, but thought I'd ask here RE:
> whether I'm correct. Do I really need to split out libkj at this time?

No, you don't. Is the versioning the same?
--
10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.

Tom Lee http://tomlee.co / @tglee