Re: how to allocate a TCP port?

Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> writes:

> In any case, the sender and reciever need to share a privledged port.

> What is the official way of getting one of these allocated in
> /etc/services?

https://www.iana.org/form/ports-services

However, if by privileged port you mean a port number lower than 1024,
note:

    User port numbers range between 1024 and 49151. If you wish to
    register a system port — those numbered 1023 or less — it must be done
    through the standardisation process of the IETF.

In other words, you will need to write an RFC for your protocol and have
it approved by the normal IETF process.  (I think this is quite reasonable
given how scarce such ports are.)