Re: debian/watch: Version based on file timestamp

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 02:44:50PM +0200, Patrick Matthäi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for the geoip-database package I would like to add a watch file. The
> problem is: there are no real releases, so I am manualy monitoring
> the required files.
>
> Is it possible to get the upstream version of the remote file based
> on it's modified tag? e.g.:
> http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoIPCountryCSV.zip
>
> The required format is: YYYYMMDD

I don't think it's possible to do it using just uscan.

What would be possible is for you - or somebody else - to write some
kind of a redirector and host it somewhere; the redirector would fetch
upstream's webpage and return an HTML page containing a "link" to a
file with the timestamp in the name.  It is possible that the same
redirector would have to implement the other part of the functionality -
upon a request for the file with the timestamp in the name, it would
fetch the real file from upstream and serve it as, well, the file with
the timestamp in the name.  It might be prudent to also implement some
kind of local caching to prevent resource exhaustion DoS problems on too
many almost-simultaneous requests.

It doesn't sound too hard; if nobody else steps up, I may try to write
something like this.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org p.penchev@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13