Re: [Repost] RFS: cpl-plugin-* [ITP] -- ESO data reduction pipeline recipes

Hi Julian,

Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian@googlemail.com> writes:
> you put in the current maintainers of the pipelines as upstream
> authors. Can you please check with them if this is correct.  So far I
> know the support for this software is supposed to go over
> usd-help@eso.org Also its Upstream-Contact not Upstream-Author in the
> machine readable copyright format.

I changed the field to Upstream-Contact: and put the contact address
there instead of the authors (resp. maintainers). This is in the git
yet; I will upload it in the next days to mentors.debian.net.

> Concerning the calibration data, you may be able to save significant
> amount of space by compressing them with cfitsio fpack utility. Its
> usually better than generic compression methods, at the cost that it
> can only be read by cfitsio compatible programs (which is the case for
> these pipelines).

Thank you for the hint. However, fpack is (still) not part of Debian, so
this cannot be done in the moment. The package is maintained by HEASARC
<heasarc.nasa.gov/fitsio/fpack/>, and thanks to the current situation in
the USA the web page is unreachable.

Once they are back, I am considering packaging their stuff and then
converting the calibration data. However, I doubt that this will squeeze
all calibration packages enough so that they all fall under my
self-defined limit of 10 MB.

> PS: I still think these packages are to specific in purpose for
> Debian, so this is no offer of sponsorship.

I restarted the discussion about this a month ago in debian-science, and
the response what only positive. Feel free to bring your arguments
there. The base packages (cpl and esorex) have an popcon of ~175, which
is quite a lot compared to other astronomy packages (ds9: ~260). And the
only purpose for cpl, python-cpl, and esorex is to run these plugins, so
in my opinion it makes perfect sense to package them as well.

Best regards

Ole