Should .pc filenames depend on the version number?

This may be an upstream type question, but because I
do the *autotools type stuff for libswe, (even though I
I don't touch the actual source,) I thought I would ask
this question.

should the .pc file name depend on the version number of the
library? That is for version 1.80.00.x of libswe should the
version number be in the name for the .pc file?

Someone has suggested that if the version number was not
in the name of the .pc file, people linking to the library
would not have to change their link code. In my case the version
number was originally put in by anjuta.

Are their any counter arguments against removing the version number
from the .pc filename?

Thank you for considering this question.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J