Git usage: rebase master on custom tag from upstream branch

Hello, mentors.

The issue:
I have created a git repo with master and upstream branches and use
git-buiuldpackage for build. And I like it, but...
How to switch my master on custom tag from upstream branch? I want to
start work under a new (or custom)  version. How to sync master
workspace with commit from upstream? And left the debian dir.
Of-course, I can backup debian dir and make a hard reset on the commit
from upstream, but it's a crooked nail.

There must be a normal solution and a documentation about that, but I
didn't find.

Thanks
Anton.