Re: An Analysis of the RFS Process

Hi

I think that Debian needs something like ArchLinux AUR (Arch User
repository). If you want packaging software for Debian you only have
two possibilities: 1. Get the package through mentors into the
official Debian repository (wich can be very frustraiting) or 2. host
your software on your own server and probably no one will find it
ever. Ubuntu has at least the PPA's that are all hosted on launchpad,
but I personally find them less elegant, as an optional activated
global "community" repository that lives outside Debian main.

I bet, that most of the packages submitted, are not going to be
maintained over an extended period of time and therefor generate work
for sponsoring DD's and maintainers. By providing a test bed for new
packages and new maintainers, it would open the possibility that a
potential maintainer can prove himself to provide high quality
software and if he maintains the software over say 12 months without
problems, the package could enter the RFS process. I think that
something like that would dramatically reduce the number of RFS
requests and new maintainers would have the ability to get their new
packages out for testing.

BTW: There is an upcomming Debian project which could help
implementing a new parallel, non-official, community driven build
infrastructure called debile (formerly know as debuild.me).
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-debile/ It is planed that
debile could potentially implement something like PPA's.

  Kevin