Repackage without rebuild

Hello,

Is there a recommended way to create/maintain customized versions of
packages in cases when there's no need to rebuild from source but
advanced post-install configuration is necessary?

For example, I wan't to have an OpenLDAP that would install directly
with mdb backend. To configure slapd for mdb I normally have to edit
configs, clear out the DB directory (/var/lib/ldap) and restart the
service. I tried to make a separate config package for this using
config-package-dev, but the process seems to complicated in this case,
so I'm making a custom slapd package. But the thing is, the only
documented way seems to be to get the package source, edit and
rebuild. But I'm fine with the binaries, I only need to edit postinst
script and such. I tried extracting and repacking the binary package
with dpkg-deb, and it works, except it doesn't feel like 'the right
way'... correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Regards,
Igor Filatov