Re: multi arch shared libarary with non multi arch -dev package?

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> writes:
>
>> Is it OK to have a shared library multi arch with the corresponding -dev
>> package not multi arch?
>
>> The the -dev package contains some utilitiy arch dep executables and
>> thus can not be made multi arch?
>
> Yes, absolutely.  Much of the benefit of multi-arch comes from just having
> the libraries be multi-arch, and we've not yet made a push to multi-arch
> the dev packages.  The dev packages pose a variety of additional
> challenges that we haven't completely sorted through.

In scenarios like this where you have executables installed in
non-architecture-specific paths in your -dev package, you could always
split them out into a new libfoo-bin or libfoo-utils package. It's up
to you to determine whether or not this is worth doing, and if this
may cause any unwanted regressions.

Regards,
Vincent