Re: help to fix lintian problems, NMU issue

On 2013-07-08 21:04, Tong Sun wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm trying to fix the following issues:
>
> W: libpam-ssh-agent-auth source: changelog-should-mention-nmu
> W: libpam-ssh-agent-auth source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 0.9.5-2
>
> I don't want to do a NMU because there hasn't been a Debian package for it
> before. The problem is, the upstream version is 0.9.5, so normally I
> should use 0.9.5-1 as the latest version. However, the upstream chose to
> put 0.9.5-1 in the changelog file, So I chose 0.9.5-1.1. Failing that, I chose 0.9.5-2.
>
> This is how my debian/changelog looks.
>
> ----------------------------
>   libpam-ssh-agent-auth (0.9.5-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
>     * Debian release in dpkg-source 3.0 (quilt) format
>
>    -- Tong Sun (vub) <suntong001@users.sourceforge.net>  Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:22:07 -0400
>
> [...]
> ----------------------------
>
> [...]
>
> But still, I get the similar lintian error. How to solve it properly?
> Thanks
>
> [...]

Lintian compares the changelog sign-off line with the Maintainer field
and each of the uploaders listed in the Uploaders field.  The sign-off
line must match when compared "byte-for-byte" (leading and trailing
whitespace being stripped in d/control, but it isn't in the changelog[0])

If there is no match (and no "magic" upload-type string[1]), Lintian
assumes it is a NMU.

~Niels

[0] This is one of the reasons why it is generally recommend to use a
tool like dch to create new the changelog entries / update the
time-stamp.  They don't add a whitespace to many or forgot one where
there should have bene one.

[1] e.g. "Team upload".