Re: RFS - Seeking Sponsor for Manga Downloader

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Ronny Wegener wrote:

> my name is Ronny Wegener, i'm the developer of HakuNeko a wxGTK based manga
> downloader. I would like to publish a package to the debian repo. I think
> it's a nice addition since there is no GUI based manga downloader available
> for linux. Also it can complement comix, a manga reader already part of
> debian.

I don't intend to sponsor this package, but here is a review:

Since you are upstream, please read Debian's upstream guide:

http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

The package is native but it should not be. Please put "3.0 (quilt)"
in debian/source/format, use a version number like 1.0.5-1 and split
the tarball into an .debian.tar.gz and .orig.tar.gz.

The override_dh_auto_install should probably be like this instead:

override_dh_auto_install:
    dh_auto_install -- PREFIX=/usr

I don't think debian/postrm and debian/postinst are needed since
update-mime doesn't exist in Debian and the menu package uses triggers
these days.

debian/copyright is missing some copyright holders and licenses.

The Homepage field should go in the first section of debian/control.
It redirects to here so best use that instead:
https://code.google.com/p/hakuneko/

The synopsis contains information about how the package is
implemented. That isn't relevant to users so I would suggest removing
"based on wxGTK" from there.

There is not an intent-to-package (ITP) bug filed, please file one:

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

The package is missing a watch file:

http://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch

The upstream code lacks copyright and license headers:

http://tieguy.org/blog/2012/03/17/on-the-importance-of-per-file-license-information/

Some of the images contain text. Pre-rendering text in this way
prevents translation into other languages, it is much better to render
all text at runtime only.

There are three copies of the application icon in different formats.
It would be best to have only one (PNG). If the other formats are
needed they can be created at build time. This ensures that changes to
the icon will not be forgotten for the other formats.

Looks like there is an embedded code copy of part of wxWidgets or
wxGTK in the source tarball. Please remove it since there is a build
dependency on libwxgtk2.8-dev anyway.

https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies

There are some empty files/dirs in the source package:

bin
dist/winnt
dist/linux/bin
dist/linux/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
dist/linux/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps
dist/linux/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps
dist/linux/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
dist/linux/share/man/man1
obj
res/parsers/[0] - Alexa Ranking (2012-09-05)

There are some duplicate files in the source package:

include/msw/wx/univ/setup.h
include/msw/wx/univ/setup0.h

include/msw/wx/msw/setup.h
lib/msw/wx/mswu/wx/setup.h

include/msw/wx/msw/child.ico
include/msw/wx/msw/std.ico
include/msw/wx/msw/mdi.ico

dist/linux/share/doc/hakuneko/copyright
debian/copyright

debian/postinst
debian/postrm

Automated checks:

http://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian#Check_points_for_any_package

gcc:

There are a lot of compile warnings.

lintian:

W: hakuneko source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.3 (current is 3.9.4)
I: hakuneko: package-contains-empty-directory
usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/
I: hakuneko: package-contains-empty-directory
usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/
I: hakuneko: package-contains-empty-directory
usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
I: hakuneko: package-contains-empty-directory
usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/
I: hakuneko: package-contains-empty-directory usr/share/man/man1/
W: hakuneko: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/hakuneko
I: hakuneko: desktop-entry-lacks-keywords-entry
usr/share/applications/hakuneko.desktop

blhc:

Reports that the hardening CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS are missing.

checkbashisms:

could not find any possible bashisms in bash script ./config_mingw32-portable.sh
could not find any possible bashisms in bash script ./config_default.sh
could not find any possible bashisms in bash script ./config_mingw32.sh

isutf8:

./include/msw/wx/datetime.h: line 236, char 1, byte offset 22: invalid
UTF-8 code
./include/msw/wx/app.h: line 173, char 1, byte offset 66: invalid UTF-8 code

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise