Insecurity about right file-placement in .deb-package

Hello, debian mentors.

I am currently trying to package the software i write into a valid
debian package. Until now this has been working very well, but i am a
little stuck here and would appreciate if someone could help me out.

The problem:
My software loads python-modules from a server. Basically they can be
thought of as plugins that add functionality to my software. As they are
being downloaded at runtime and must be stored to the filesystem at that
time, the user that runs the software must have the permission to write
on that folder. At first i thought of using /var/lib/mysoftware/
because /var/lib has been describes as the working folder for software
itself, but i can only assign 755 to folders in /var/lib, so my users
cant write to it.  /tmp is too volatile for what i intend to do. Now i
am thinking of /var/tmp, because every plugin that i load is
theoretically reloadable at any time, so it doesnt matter if the data is
being erased.

What i expect:
Could anyone please confirm or deny my decision to continue
using /var/tmp for the purpose of storing the loaded plugins? Or is
there a even more debianoid way to solve this problem, that i did not
think of until now?

Regards, grindhold.