How to handle a package requiring external test data for its test suite?

Dear all,
I am currently packaging a computer vision software[1] which test
suite requires external data (images).
Considering the weight of the images (~75Mb) compared to the package
size (a few Mb) they
decided to distribute them separately.

Right now, 30% of the tests are failing due to the lack of this dataset.
Following a remark on another thread[2], I would like to get your
opinion about the best course of action
regarding this matter.

Should I repack the software after including this dataset? Is the
voluminous size a problem?
Another option would be to skip the tests which are requiring this dataset.

Note: the dataset is mainly composed of video sequences stored as pgm images.

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/v/visp.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2013/06/msg00140.html

Thanks,
--