Using GnuPG and its daemon gpg-agent

Hi,

I'm using gpg-agent to remember and supply my GnuPG password when
building packages. But I'm still confused how gpg-agent works. I invoke
gpg-agent as:

  eval $(gpg-agent --daemon)

It works sometimes. But what bothers me is that sometimes it doesn't
work. I.e., sometimes the building process asks for my GnuPG passwords
once, sometimes none, and sometimes many times. This all happens during
one single bash session, after I've invoked gpg-agent as before. Not
being asked for password this time doesn't guarantee that I won't get
asked for password next time. I still haven't figure out why gpg decides
to prompt me for password and why it doesn't.

Does it happen to you as well?

Thanks