Aw: Wanting to maintain Debian packages

Hello,

> I had always been hoping to maintain some useful debian packages. Now
> that I've successfully revived some abandoned debian packages, my
> confident is gaining and want to pick up more.
>
> I took a look at the orphaned package list, to my biggest surprise, there
> are a *lot* of packages that I think useful are now orphaned [1].

Perform the work, in parallel reply to the bug report that you are prepared
to take the packaging, also mention that you are seeking a sponsor.

> Is it OK for me to take over the ownership for all of them?
> What should I do?

I would go one by one, carried by your respective personal interest in the individual package and your respective success in finding a sponsor.

Thank you for investment of your time and energy!

If you find the time, consider writing up somewhere on wiki.debian.org on how to use those packages. This may attract additional users and future maintainers.

Steffen