Multiarch and architecture specific headers

Hello there,
I am looking for a solution to fix the following bug:

A package I maintain contains a configuration header (vpConfig.h)
which differ depending on the architecture we are (here the dependencies are
not the same on i386 and powerpc).

So far, the only solution I can think of is moving this header into
/usr/include/<triplet>
and patching the .pc file accordingly.

I saw that some packages are already putting headers in this directory
but I never
heard of this strategy on the Debian wiki.

Is this considered good practice? Is there another solution to deal
with this bug?

Thanks,
--
Thomas Moulard(ムラー トマ)
CNRS-AIST JRL (Joint Robotics Laboratory), UMI3218/CRT, Tsukuba, Japan