Lintian false positive about virtual package depends?

Hi!

I'm working on a new version of the mpich2 packages. It is being renamed to mpich, so I have introduced some transitional packages.

For example, the current package called libmpich2-dev will be replaced with the new package libmpich-dev. Therefore, libmpich2-dev will become a transitional package that depends on libmpich-dev. This is what I have specified in the control file for the new mpich.

I am not referring to any virtual packages in the control file, as far as I can see myself. However, lintian gives me this:

tmac@asus:$ lintian mpich_3.0.4-1_amd64.changes
.
.
W: libmpich2-dev: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends depends: libmpich-dev
.
.

Does anyone know why lintian would think that libmpich-dev, which is a new package that will appear with the newer mpich-packages, is a virtual package?

Is this something that can happen when new package names are introduced like in this situation?

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen