Sign source packages for mentors.debian.net

hi,

I would like to publish a package to d-mentors for sponsorship soon, and
am wondering how to sign the source package for upload.  Do I even need
to sign packages as a package maintainer (not DM, not DD)?

intro-maintainers writes this:
  "How to upload packages to mentors.debian.net?
  You need to use dput to upload packages. We accept your uploads through
  HTTP or FTP. All packages must be signed with the GnuPG key you
  configured in your control panel."

=> and https://mentors.debian.net/my ("control panel") has an upload
field for a GPG key:
  "GPG-Key:
  Please use the output of gpg --export --export-options export-minimal --armor keyid"
=> shall I use 'gpg --gen-key' to create the key (that will be exported
with command above)?
If yes, which type of key?

How do I make git-buildpackage (calls debuild) use my GPG key for
signing (is there an automatic hook?)

Neither the mentors FAQ nor the maint-guide nor the developers-reference
seem to cover this.

Do I have to follow (some of) these steps?
  http://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning

Any pointers to documentation are much appreciated!
Thank You!
--
Felix Natter