Re: Build-Depends versioning and binary Depends versioning

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:51:26 +0100
Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:

> * Antonio Ospite <ospite@studenti.unina.it>, 2013-03-19, 16:15:
> >for a package I am working on, I am setting versioned Build-Depends, to
> >avoid using newer libav versions which would break compilation, e.g.:
> >
> >	libavcodec-dev (<< 6:9)
> >
> >Compilation under pbuilder for Sid goes fine, but the binary packages
> >are still allowed to be installed with newer libav binary packages:
> >
> >	 libavcodec53 (>= 6:0.8.3-1~) | libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 6:0.8.5)
>
> A well-behaved shared library package won't break binary compatibility
> without changing package name. In fact, the package name has changed to
> libavcodec54. So nothing wrong with the dependency as far as I can tell.

Maybe I've picked the wrong example, the actual problem was with
libavdevice53, the same soname is used for either 0.8.5-1 and 9.3-1,
but 9.3-1 links to libavcodec54 while 0.8.5-1 links to libavcodec53, so
my binary ended up importing either libavcodec53 and libavcodec54 when
both were installed and did not work.

I think it will be enough to require libavdevice53 (<< 6:9) in my case.

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite