Re: Build-Depends versioning and binary Depends versioning

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 04:15:57PM +0100, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> Compilation under pbuilder for Sid goes fine, but the binary packages
> are still allowed to be installed with newer libav binary packages:
>
> 	 libavcodec53 (>= 6:0.8.3-1~) | libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 6:0.8.5)
Of course, because it is expected that a binary built with a given library
version will work with all newer versions of that library having the same
soname.

> As you can see I can still install the package on a system which has
> libavcodec53 9.3-1 from experimental, as the binary dependency is
> just greater than, the strictly minor one from the Build-Depends didn't
> propagate to the binary packages.
Of course it didn't, there is no such mechanisms because there is no need
for them.

> Thinking about it I can see why this is happening: I specified the
> Build-Depends for the -dev packages, not for the corresponding
> libraries, but naively I thought the build system can figure out the
> relationship between the two.
It cannot and it would be strange if it did.

> Should I restrict the Depends for the binary packages by hand in
> debian/control?
Do you have any reasons to do that? Are you sure that the package will not
work with newer versions?

--
WBR, wRAR