Re: I'm so frustrated trying to adopt a package, I could scream.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Vincent Cheng <vincentc1208@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please talk me off the ledge. I'm about to jump.
>>
>> I've been trying to file ITA on blt
>> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=664092)
>> and the package claiming system is driving me insane.
>
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
>
> Or if you've run of patience that you can't read a single web page,
> just send an email to control@bugs.debian.org with the following
> contents:
>
> retitle 664092 ITA: foo
> owner 664092 !
> thanks

I appreciate your time.  I had tried the email to control as my first
method, but there was no response, no success or error. So after
reading through the debian mentors pages here,
http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers, where it says that the
reportbug system is the preferred way, I tried that.

But I will just work on getting the control email correct.

Now I'm registered on the upload website and I have isolated a
possible explanation for my troubles. I've got a lot of different
emails, the one that my package signing key refers to is
pauljohn32@freefaculty.org.  But in the message to control, I tried to
use my gmail address.  I suppose also the control email may check my
"from" address to make sure it is the one I am registered with.

If I ever do succeed with this, I'm going to come back and start a big
argument with you all.  This process is badly designed.  If Debian
wants people to maintain packages, why not make adoption simpler?  The
package itself is the important part, any other hassle is pure dead
weight on the Debian development process :(

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director