Re: jquery.js from Doxygen in documentation, what to do about it

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 12:01 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > P.S: The above isn't an approval for embedding yet another version of
> > jquery in your package, I think it should be avoided as well if
> > possible. Probably one of the options is to patch upstream source code
> > so that it can work with the target Debian package and still render
> > well. I have no idea how practical that would be though.

After looking at one package that uses Doxygen and links to the
libjs-jquery provided jquery.js, it seems to me the offending part is
the use of the Doxygen treeview  navigation. Without it, the pages
render fine but are not as nice to navigate. That's the workaround I
would now consider.

> This would be something that would need to be done in the doxygen package,
> not in Gert's package.
Andreas idea of moving Doxygen from experimental into unstable might
help (well, I can also do some pinning to get this specific Doxygen
version), but here I'm concerned a bit about backports of the package.

The question is if in the future it can be guarantied that libjs-jquery
and Doxygen use the same jquery version. Since Doxygen upstream embeds
jquery in the code, this might be impractical to keep the two in sync.

Another idea would be that Doxygen creates a package doxygen-jsquery
that provides its jquery version and documentation packages can be made
depending on that.

Many thanks,
Gert