Help needed with dh_python2 and dh_python3

Hi all

I have a package that installs a few Python scripts and utility modules
which are compatible with both, python2 and python3. The build system
does not use distutils, it just copies the files into
/usr/share/pyshared/<module>/.

Now, I figured it would be as easy as

* adding a build-dependency on python and python3
* adding X-Python-Versino and X-Python3-Version tags
* adding ${python:Depends} and ${python3:Depends} to the respective
  binary packages dependencies
* invoking the dh sequencer with the option --with=python2,python3

That, however, only seems to give the desired results for python2; the
files in /usr/share/pyshared/<module> are sym-linked to
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/<module>. Although, in the build log I
do see that dh_python3 is being invoked, it simply doesn't seem to have
any effect.

Manually invoking dh_python3 then errors out that it detected python2
and that I should call dh_python2 instead.

Anybody got a clue as to what I'm doing wrong here? Do I need to add an
extra binary python3-foo package?

Michael