GPL and OpenSSL

I'm starting the packaging work for grive [1].

When I finished the first aproach to the Debian package, I run lintian to see the possible errors, and between a big set of warning, I found the next error:

possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl

I speak with upstream authors and they tell me that they know the problem between OpenSSL and GPL, but for now they keep using OpenSSL because they only uses the MD5 sum function.

Is this md5 function compatible with GPL license? If it isn't, are there any other implementation compatible with GPL2?

Best regards y thanks in advance for your help :-)

José Luis Segura Lucas