Hassles when using git-buildpackage

Hi there,
i have a problem with git and git-buildpackage that i cannot solve
in a "git" way. I would appreciate any hints on this issue.

My situation:
I use git-buildpackage to handle my packages. I'm following the
suggested setup with master, upstream and pristine-tar branch.
This works fine most the time, but now i'm a bit stuck.
The current upstream version C is in master and upstream. Some
time ago, upstream released the first alpha A of the next version.
So i made two new branches: version-A based on master, upstream-A
based on upstream. I imported the source of A into upstream-A and
merged it into version-A, then i adopted the packaging to the new
version. This were about 15-20 commits in version-A.
Then upstream released some new point releases of current version C.
I imported them to upstream, merged them into master, and did some
more packaging work on master. Also about 15-20 commits on master.

And now i want to get my changes in master:debian/ merged into version-
A:debian/... I simple git checkout version-A && git merge master does
not work, as it also tries to merge the changes in the upstream files.
I would like to solve this in a way git knows about the merge so i
can (hopefully) avoid problems, when version-A gets merged into master
somewhere in the future.

Thanks in advance.

--
 MfG, Christian Welzel

  GPG-Key:     pub 4096R/5117E119 2011-09-19
  Fingerprint: 3688 337C 0D3E 3725 94EC  E401 8D52 CDE9 5117 E119