Re: bad lintian warning?

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 08:59:02PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> My package:
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/resiprocate
>
> The warning:
> http://lintian.debian.org/tags/dev-pkg-without-shlib-symlink.html
>
> a) I notice the warning is appearing for the lib package and NOT the
> -dev package itself
Apparently that's intended: the tag is reported against the package
containing the library.

> b) I notice the verbose output (on the mentors summary page) shows an
> SONAME in a slightly different format:
>
>    usr/lib/librutil-1.8.so.0.0.0 usr/lib/librutil-1.8.so
>
> Notice: librutil-1.8.so, while the -dev package creates a symlink in the
> form librutil.so
Yes, that's the problem. Lintian cuts out everything after ".so" when
searching for the dev symlink while libtool with -release doesn't include
the release number in the dev symlink (see also info libtool "7.4 Managing
release information"). If you encode the library version in the library
name, you are supposed to specify that version when linking, otherwise
it's pointless. Note that the libtool example (libbfd-2.9.0.so) doesn't
have a soversion while your libs have -version-info 0:0:0 in addition to
-release 1.8 and that's why the libs are named libfoo-1.8.so.0.0.0 instead
of more common libfoo-1.8.so.

> c) If I install the packages manually on my own machine, I find the
> symlink is really there after installing the -dev package:
There is no librutil-1.8.so.

--
WBR, wRAR