Running own repository

Dear mentors,

I'm maintainer of buildbot and buildbot packages and a contributor to
the project itself. I'm using git-buildpackage to maintain this
project's packages. I'm looking for a way to continiously and properly
build packages for this software for several Debian/Ubuntu
distributions and distribute them by means of some Debian repository
software (currently stopped on reprepro). Since this is a pure python
software, it needs to be built on just one architecture. However I
have faced with the situation I don't know how to solve.

When you build the same source package against different distributions
you'll get the same name for binary package which means that you can
actually upload a binary package just for one distribution. I've found
several ways to overcome this but don't know which will be the best.

The first is to upload only one source/binary package and publish them
to several distributions at once. In this way I'll have one package
referenced by several distributions. If there's a need to make
specific changes to some distribution then another branch in git
repository is created. This branch may have additional suffix to
package version which will lead to different names for both source and
binary packages and thus will be uploaded into the same repository
with no problem. However in order to put one package into several
repositories one must create changes file which will point to multiple
distributions and I don't know how is this possible to do. The other
way is to use "reprepro copymatched" command ad I'll possibly stick to
it if I don't find a way to generate specific *.changes file. The
problem is that I'll need to make additional checks to make sure this
binary package is possible to install for every distribution.

The second way is to change just package version in debian/changelog
thus generating almost identical source packages for every
distribution. This will surely make things simpler since the binary
package produced on target distribution will most likely to fit that
distribution. But having several source packages with difference in
just one line in debian/changelog is a bit confusing.

So which way should I choose? Maybe I have missed something, if so —
then please point me that out.

Thanks in advance,

--
Andriy Senkovych