Re: Moving library to Multi-Arch

Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> writes:

> I want to adopt a package which isn't configured for multi-arch yet.

> In this package there is a -dev package with to binaries in /usr/bin.
> Is there a way to enable this package for multi-arch? I have read this
> could be a problem.

You cannot make the -dev package with binaries in /usr/bin multi-arch
unless they are identical on all platforms (shell scripts that don't
change, for example).  You will need to either move the binaries into a
separate package (and anything else that doesn't vary or is identical
across all architectures) or leave the -dev package as not multi-arch.

I wouldn't worry too much about -dev packages yet.  The main push for
wheezy is for just the shared library packages.

> For Wheezy all libraries must be multi-arch enabled, right?

No.

It's an aspirational goal that almost certainly won't be reached in its
entirety.  There will be some remnant of non-multi-arch library packages
in the wheezy release.

> Then all other packages must be removed from testing before freeze, right?

No.