wmtime 1.0b2-14 2012-11-23 22:50

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:56:20PM +0000, Doug Torrance wrote:
> bartm wrote on 23 Nov 2012 17:54 :
> > The file wmtime_1.0b2.orig.tar.gz at mentors is not identical to the one in
> > Debian.  What is debian/0001-Packaging-for-Debian.patch for ? The changelog
> > entry of 1.0b2-13 "Rebuilding source package correctly" is not useful if you
> > didn't change the source package.  The homepage in the "Homepage" field is not
> > useful since it states that http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wmtime.html is the
> > (home) website, and the version available for download is older than the newest
> > already in Debian.  I suggest to not use this website in the "Homepage" field,
> > and also not in debian/watch.  Using 7 in debian/compat is quite low nowadays.
> > Some changes are not mentioned in debian/changelog, for example replacing
> > dh_clean by dh_prep.  Isn't it better to use a higher debian/compat number so
> > that debian/rules can be simplified instead ? I suggest to add the fixes for
> > bugs 639626 and 661843 in debian/patches.
>
> Thank you so much for your input.  This is my first attempt at maintaining a
> Debian package, so I truly appreciate it!

I guessed already that you are a beginner.  Your positive attitude makes it a
pleasure to give review comments.  Feel free to ask questions on
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org about Debian packaging.

> I believe that I have made of all the changes that you outlined.

Not yet all of them, but you're making progress.

> I've
> uploaded a new source package (wmtime-1.0b2-14) to mentors.debian.net if you
> would be interested in taking a look.

I suggest to merge the changelog entries from 1.0b2-11 to 1.0b2-14, although it
is not really an error to use multiple entries.  The entry "Rebuilt source
package" is still in the changelog, and this makes no sense because there were
no changes to the source package involved.  I see that debian/compat still has
7 while debian/patches/upstream_changes mentions 9.  If you can recognize
separate changes from the past, then separate patches is slightly better than
one upstream_changes patch, although I understand you may not want to do that
effort.  The Homepage http://wmaker.friedcheese.org/ is by "the Debian
maintainer for the wmtime package" so that's probably Paul Harris who is no
longer maintaining the Debian package, so I suggest to not use this website in
Homepage and debian/watch either.  If wmtime no longer has any upstream
maintainer, then you will in fact become the upstream maintainer.  Then you are
free to make a new upstream homepage, or to simply not use the field "Homepage"
in debian/control and not use a debian/watch file.  The file
debian/patches/series only mentions upstream_changes so the other patches are
not used, meaning that the bugs are probably not really fixed.  Did you test
the resulting binary package ?

Regards,

Bart Martens