Re: vector format and freesofware

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Indeed, just as there is no guarantee that GCC is be able to compile
> your source code

the difference is that if you accept AI files the file might be
viewable with AI when they send it, but there is no one checking if it
is viewable with anything else at the time of sending. People might
add in those files to a debian package and not check them with any
other tool.

on the other hand, for C sources, normally before you check the code
you compile before you share it, and for debian projects you also
submit binaries. I think there are some rules for debian to prohibit
publishing code that does not compile and fails the most basic
packaging checks.

This topic hits a nerve because I had to deal with it recently :
my experience with designers is that they use illegal copies of Adobe
illustrator, they use non free fonts
and the resulting pdf and svg files are not editable with inkscape.
Even if you can convert the file you make changes to the text without
the fonts or give you the rights to use the fonts.

Free software projects need to take care when dealing with "designers"
who can only deliver with adobe products, because you might get the
results at the last minute and the results might be unusable, I had
that problem just last month and it caused a lot of disruption on our
time planning.