Re: [Aptitude-devel] Rebasing published software and avoid git revert/merge

On 09/05/2012 04:16 PM, Daniel Hartwig wrote:
> On 5 September 2012 15:48, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>> I never understood why everyone insist in using the default name "master".
>> This doesn't express anything at all. Instead, you should be using:
>>
>> - wheezy
>> - sid
>> - experimental
>
> Right.  That has been a sort of long-term goal ;-)
>
> For historical reasons, aptitude is a non-native package.

In this case, I would do:

- debian-squeeze
- debian-wheezy
- debian-sid
- debian-experimental
- upstream-squeeze
- upstream-wheezy
- upstream-sid
- upstream-experimental

That's what I do with all of my packaging through Git, what is done in
the pkg-php team, and in many other teams.

If you need to switch the default branch, it's non trivial to do, but
it's not hard (though I can't remember what Git commands was involved),
so you can later kill the master branch forever.

Thomas