Re: debian/rules stamp-* targets

Hi,

On 03.09.2012 18:55, The Wanderer wrote:
> I have not been able to find any documentation on these stamp-* targets,
> although searching has revealed that they or something like them appear
> to be
> (or to have been) used in a number of other packages as well. What are
> they used
> for, and how "necessary" are they?

They are entirely optional, in fact. It's a custom behavior to work
around issues with pseudo-phony targets which aren't declared as such
for some reason [1]. That's just one way (among many) to implement a
debian/rules file.

> There are deprecation warnings in the package which could be fixed
> either in a
> way which retains the stamp-build target or in a way which removes it.
> Which one
> would be more appropriate?

If it is your package, do it the way you like more. Modern rules files
(as in dh(1)) are typicially much easier to read.

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Phony-Targets.html#Phony-Targets

--
with kind regards,