Re: Advice on a new package

Hi,

> I'm interested in making a Debian package of my own software Fortuner,
> homepage https://github.com/jnumm/fortuner . The software is a
> modernization of classic UNIX fortune program. I think it falls under
> the games category so I'm writing on pkg-games list, too.
>
> Should I put this package on a VCS (preferably git, that's what I've
> been using), on something like
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/fortuner.git ? How would
> that be done?

It is not necessarily to use repository on Alioth for your package. You can
use a separate repo on Github. But if you want to join Debian Games Team and
use Alioth for packaging you should read:
http://wiki.debian.org/Games/
http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS/git
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git

> The package has a Lintian warning: W: fortuner:
> hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/games/fortuner. How should that be
> treated?

http://wiki.debian.org/Hardening

Note: Lintian can generate false positive here. So you should check it manually.

> And lastly, I've understood there is a freeze now on Debian Wheezy,
> how does this affect to packaging a new piece of software? To what
> distribution would the new package come?

New packages don't affect Wheezy. So you can prepare your package for unstable
(as usual).

Regards,
Boris