Re: tool to create .deb for proprietary software?

Hi,

On 23.08.2012 22:46, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> I know I could use "ar" and "tar" to get things done, but wasn't sure
> if there was a more elegant approach.

Depending on your own ambition there are several approaches. The easiest
and simplest way is to use "dpkg-deb -b" which does right what you asked
for. A slightly more advanced way would be to use tools like
checkinstall(1) which require some Makefile which installs files to the
file system.

The cleanest and most formidable solution is to build a regular Debian
package like we do for Debian archives proper. The New Maintainers'
Guide [1] has instructions to get started. In your case you can follow
the usual instructions, just skip the build process (dh_auto_configure,
dh_auto_build), as your stuff is shipped in binary form already.

More concrete help is probably available once you ask concrete questions.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll