looking for documentation on helper tools for maintainer scripts (preinst/postinst/..)

Hello all,

first of all, I'm not sure I'm addressing the correct list for this,
so please forgive me if I should ask somewhere else ..

I'm looking for documentation on any helper script that can be
used in preinst/postinst/etc scripts. I've read bits and pieces
about debconf, and there seems to be a certain amount of
menial tasks that can be automated in maintainer scripts -
can you please tell me where to look to maximize the automation
of my preinst/postinst/etc scripts and make them as simple
and standard as possible ?

Thanks a lot,
David.